Who needs a Fishing Licence?
- If you are 16 years of age or older you must have a valid basic licence to sport fish for any species of fish in non-tidal waters. Licences must be signed by the holder.
- When appropriate, supplementary licences and stamps must also be purchased
- Under the Wildlife Act, you must carry your licence while sport fishing and if asked to, present it for inspection by various authorities.
- Those under 16 and residents of BC, may sport fish (while abiding by fishing regulations) without licences and stamps, do not need to be accompanied by a licence holder and are entitled to their own quota of fish.
- Under 16's who are NOT residents of BC, may sport fish (while abiding by fishing regulations) without licences and stamps, but must be accompanied by a licence holder. Any fish kept must be counted as part of the licence holders catch, otherwise a basic licence must be purchased for the minor as well.
- BC residents with Indian status (as defined in the Indian Act) do not require a licence or stamps to fish in non-tidal waters.
How much does a BC Fishing Licence cost?
- BC Fishing Licence Rates
- 1 day, 8 day and annual licences can be purchased. The licensing year runs from April 1st to March 31st and all licences (including Annual ) are only valid for the current licence year.
- BC Seniors and Disabled residents may qualify for rate reductions.
Where can I buy a BC Freshwater Fishing Licence?
- Now available to BUY ONLINE . Note, you must first register to obtain an angler number. Watch a video on how to buy a BC angling licence online.
- Available at Service BC Centres : # 1-45467 Yale Road West, Chilliwack (Tel: 604 795 8415)
- Licence Vendors - Several guide and charter companies in the Chilliwack area are licence vendors and can issue licences at the beginning of your trip, so be sure to ask your guide if they are a licence vendor BEFORE your trip. Other licence vendors in the Chilliwack area are:
Chilliwack Dart and Tackle - #2-9120 Young Road, Chilliwack (Tel: 604 793 9922)
Fred's Custom Tackle - #1-5580 Vedder Road, Chilliwack (Tel: 604 858 7344)
Rainbow Food & Gas - 42220 Yarrow Central Road, Chilliwack (Tel: 604 823 4646)
Wal-Mart - #200-45610 Luckakuck Way, Chilliwack (Tel: 604 858 5100)
What are conservation surcharges stamps and when do I need them?
- Basic fishing licences may be validated with up to five annual conservation stamps, plus a White Sturgeon Conservation Licence.
- Conservation surcharge stamps must be purchased when fishing for Steelhead, Non-tidal Salmon, Kootenay Lake Rainbow Trout, Shuswap Lake Char, Shuswap Lake Rainbow Trout and there is a special licence for White Sturgeon on the Fraser River which is a catch and release only fishery.
Making sure your angling guide is licenced
- Not only is it an offence to not hold a valid angling guide licence/assistant angling guide licence when acting as a guide for fish but it is also illegal to use the services of an unlicenced angling guide.
- To check if your guide is licenced you can; ask to see their Angling Guide or Assistant Angling Guide Licence; call the Permit and Authorization Service Bureau (PASB) (1-866-433-7272 toll free in BC or 1-250-952-0932 if you are calling from outside BC); or you can visit http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb and click on the Green ‘Angling & Assistant Angling Guide Button' to access a list of licensed guides.
<<top of page